Delano Royalty Organization
The Delano Royalty Organization (DRO) consists of more than 10 volunteers working to foster leadership in the young women of Delano and enables them to promote the businesses and community of Delano.
“The experiences I had during my year with the Delano Royalty have given me a great sense of pride in the city of Delano and the volunteering that has helped build such a strong community,” said Devin Weinzierl, Delano Princess 2009-10. “They have also helped me become a more professional, outgoing, and confident individual.”
DRO candidates and ambassadors volunteer and make appearances at many events around Delano, getting to know their community and adding experience to their resumé.
As candidates or ambassadors, young women will improve public speaking and leadership skills by promoting Delano at other community festivals around Minnesota. Ambassadors have the opportunity to network and make great friendships with other royalty organizations while representing Delano.
In addition to these opportunities, the ambassadors will attend the Minneapolis Winter Carnival, and one ambassador will be chosen to represent Delano at the Minneapolis Aquatennial as a candidate for the Queen of the Lakes.
This is an exciting opportunity for young women and their parents. Parents may take turns escorting their royalty to events, if they choose. An organization member will also be available when parents have conflicts.
Candidates and royalty are encouraged to play an active role in the community and act as ambassadors for Delano.
However, few events are required, as the organization realizes that school and family come first.
Qualifications to become a DRO candidate are as follows:
• The female candidate must be between the ages of 17 and 22 years old.
• Candidate must be a Delano High School student, or live in the Delano School District.
• A parent of each candidate will be required to attend the candidate informational meeting to ensure they have full knowledge of the parent involvement required with the candidate/ambassador program.
• Candidate must be actively seeking, or have already received a high school diploma.
• Candidate/royalty must be a single female, and agree that she has not been, is not now, and will not become pregnant or married during her candidacy and reign as royalty.
• Candidate/royalty must be willing to always represent Delano in a positive and friendly manner.
The DRO also has a Little Miss program for young girls in first grade, entering second in the fall.
For more information about the DRO or to inquire about candidacy, visit http://www.orgsites.com/mn/delanoroyalty or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.